The Independent Filmmaker/Producer/Investor will want to employ a Director with a vision agreeable to the Producers. On any set or location of a Project the Director is the commander. The Director is hired for the period of principal photography as well as the time needed beforehand to prepare for filming (pre-production) and time post-production to supervise editing (post-production). The Director may also work with the Writer during development.
The Director may have the right to select key personnel such as the Director of Photography, Production Manager, Editor, and perhaps certain Cast and Crew. A Director is typically hired on an exclusive basis, preventing her/him from accepting outside employment and/or working on more than one Project at a time. The Director may be required to produce three versions of the film: one for theatrical release, another for television broadcast and a longer version called the Director’s Cut.
This Agreement between the independent Director and the Producer/Investor is drafted in plain English that is easy to read and comprehend. This is a five page, seventeen clause legal Agreement. The Agreement may be filled in on your computer or printed out and filled in later.
We regularly receive feedback that we have successfully drafted our filmmaker contracts to be as complete as possible for all legal situations. However, should you experience a unique personal situation requiring the drafting of a special clause, please contact us at your convenience. Otherwise, you may be obliged to find a local entertainment lawyer experienced in the film making industry who will draft any and all other clauses for your Project’s unique situation or circumstance.
This Agreement is part of the Director’s Deal, the Producer’s Deal, and the Investor’s Deal.
Director Name: ____________________________________________
Producer(s) Name: _______________________________________________
Producer Company: ______________________________________________
Project Name: __________________________________________________
Project Genre: _________________________________________________
(film, music video, stage production, game show, etc)
Herein this Agreement the independent Filmmaker is called the “Producer”.
1. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, the above named and below signed Producer hereby engages the above named and below signed Director as an “Independent Director” to perform the services set forth herein, and the Director hereby accepts such engagement.
2. The Director shall not sign any contracts for or on behalf of the Producer nor the Project in any way nor manner whatsoever.
4. The Director will commence duties on ______________, 20__ and continue until _____________, 20___. Consumption of Drugs or Alcohol before or during the Extra’s time on the Project and or creating a nuisance that interrupts the Project in any manner whatsoever will command immediate dismissal from the set and Project.
5. The Director understands that she/he shall receive __________________ compensation for her/his skill and services as a Director for the above named Project. Those services required of the Director by the Producer(s) are detailed in Appendix ”A”.
6. During this engagement, the Director will render services whenever and wherever Producer may require, in a competent, conscientious, and professional manner, meeting the needs of the Producer in all matters, including those involving artistic taste and judgment. The Producer shall have no obligation to actually utilize the Director’s services, or to include any of Director’s work in the Project, or to producer, release, or continue the distribution of the Project.
7. Each department shall be responsible for all recoverable items, which must be inventoried and accounted for at the end of Principal Photography. These items should be organized, boxed, and returned . . . (continued)