Director of Photography
The Independent Filmmaker/Producer/Investor will want to employ a Director of Photography with a vision agreeable to the hirers. On any set or location of a Project the Director of Photography is a commander. The Director of Photography will be hired for the period of principal photography and may or may not be needed beforehand to prepare for filming (pre-production) and time afterwards to assist in editing (post-production)..
The Director of Photography may have the right to select key personnel such as the Editor, and perhaps certain Assistants or Crew. A Director of Photography is typically hired on an exclusive basis, preventing her/him from accepting outside employment and/or working on more than one Project at a time
This Agreement between the independent Director of Photography and the Producer/Investor is drafted in plain English that is easy to read and comprehend. This is a five page, seventeen clause legal Agreement. The Agreement may be filled in on your computer or printed out and filled in later.
We regularly receive feedback that we have successfully drafted our filmmaker contracts to be as complete as possible for all legal situations. However, should you experience a unique personal situation requiring the drafting of a special clause, please contact us at your convenience. Otherwise, you may be obliged to find a local entertainment lawyer experienced in the film making industry who will draft any and all other clauses for your Project’s unique situation or circumstance.
This Agreement is part of the Director s Deal, the Producer’s Deal, and the Investor’s Deal.
Director of Photography Agreement
Director of Photography Name: _____________________________________
Producer(s) Name: _______________________________________________
Producer Company: ______________________________________________
Project Name: __________________________________________________
Project Genre: _________________________________________________
(film, music video, stage production, game show, etc)
Herein this Agreement the independent Filmmaker is called the “Producer”.
1. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, the above named and below signed Producer hereby engages the above named and below signed Director of Photography as an “Independent Director of Photography” to perform the services set forth herein, and the Director of Photography hereby accepts such engagement.
2. The Director of Photography shall not sign any contracts for or on behalf of the Producer nor the Project in any way nor manner whatsoever.
4. The Director of Photography will commence duties on ______________, 20__ and continue until _____________, 20___. Consumption of Drugs or Alcohol before or during the Extra’s time on the Project and or creating a nuisance that interrupts the Project in any manner whatsoever will command immediate dismissal from the set and Project.
5. The Director of Photography understands that she/he shall receive __________________ compensation for her/his skill and services as a Director of Photography for the above named Project. Those services required of the Director of Photography by the Producer(s) are detailed in Appendix ”A”.
6. During this engagement, the Director of Photography will render services whenever and wherever Producer may require, in a competent, conscientious, and professional manner, meeting the needs of the Producer in all matters, including those involving artistic taste and judgment. The Producer shall have no obligation to actually utilize the Director of Photography’s services, or to include any of Director of Photography’s work in the Project, or to producer, release, or continue the distribution of the Project.
7. Each department shall be responsible for all recoverable items, which must be inventoried and accounted for at the end of Principal Photography. These items should be organized, boxed, and returned . . . (continued)