Production Design Agreement
As an Independent Filmmaker, (a.k.a. the Producer of a/your Project), you will be auditioning independent Production Designers for your Project. As an independent the Production Designer is not an employee, nor partner, nor agent of the Producer and/or of the Production Company.
The Production designer begins her/his duties during pre-production working with the Director and Director of Photography to establish the visual feel and unique aesthetic requirements of the Project. This team must select the settings and style to visually tell the story. A production Illustrator draws the pre-production storyboard.
The Production Designer collaborates with the Construction department including carpenters, painters, plasterers, riggers and other trades, prop makers, landscapers, sign painters, and scenic artists. The Production Designer works with the Art Director to find decorative items for the sets such as appliances, furniture, paint and wallpaper, curtains, knick-knacks and lighting fixtures.
Signing this contract the independent Production Designer is assigning any and all Rights to their performance over to the Producer.
This Agreement between the independent Production Designer and the Producer is drafted in plain English that is easy to read and comprehend. This is a four page, thirteen clause legal Agreement. The Agreement may be filled in on your computer or printed out and filled in later.
Boiler–plate clauses, amongst others in the Agreement, include: waiver of Production Designer’s right to inspect or approve the final cut, confidentiality, dismissal for drug/alcohol/illegal photographs/nuisance etc., engagement dates, termination notice.
We regularly receive feedback that we have successfully drafted our filmmaker contracts to be as complete as possible for all legal situations. However, should you experience a unique personal situation requiring the drafting of a special clause, please contact us at your convenience. Otherwise, you may be obliged to find a local entertainment lawyer experienced in the film making industry who will draft any and all other clauses for your Project’s unique situation or circumstance.
This Agreement is part of the Director’s Deal, and the Producer’s Deal.
Production Designer Agreement
Production Designer Name: _______________________________________
Producer(s) Name: ______________________________________________
Producer Company: _____________________________________________
Project Name: __________________________________________________
Project Genre: _________________________________________________
(film, music video, stage production, game show, etc)
Herein this Agreement the Independent Filmmaker is called the “Producer”.
1. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, the above named and below signed Producer hereby engages the above named and below signed Production Designer as an “Independent Production Designer” to perform the services set forth herein, and the Production Designer hereby accepts such engagement.
2. The Production Designer shall work in coordination with the Director and Director of Photography to create the settings for the Project. The Production Designer shall coordinate with any and all Crew necessary to create the Project’s settings.
3. If the Production Designer is providing her/his own Equipment for the Project of any type note the assets on Appendix “A”. The Production Designer hereby warrants that her/his Equipment is adequate for the Project, and that the Production Designer’s Equipment listed in Appendix “A” are of durable and suitable quality for the Project.
4. The Production Designer shall not sign any contracts for or on behalf of the Producer nor the Director nor the Project in any way nor manner whatsoever.
5. The Production Designer will commence duties on ______________, 20__ and continue until _____________, 20___. Consumption of Drugs or Alcohol before or during the Production Designer’s time on the Project and or creating a nuisance that interrupts the Project in any manner whatsoever will command immediate dismissal from . . . (continued)