Writer Collaboration Agreement
Negotiating a Collaboration Agreement between two or more collaborating Writers forces the parties to resolve important issues before they invest a lot of time and effort in the collaboration. Difficult questions may arise during the writing process that are best negotiated beforehand. Who has ownership of work that has been created and in what percentage?
The Writers are well advised to enter a written Collaboration Agreement before one word is written on the Project. If the relationship is not going to work, it is best to know in the beginning. A lot of time, effort and potential negative emotions are prevented.
This Agreement between the independent Writers is drafted in plain English that is easy to read and comprehend. This is a four page, nineteen clause legal Agreement. The Agreement may be filled in on your computer or printed out and filled in later.
We regularly receive feedback that we have successfully drafted our filmmaker contracts to be as complete as possible for all legal situations. However, should you experience a unique personal situation requiring the drafting of a special clause, please contact us at your convenience. Otherwise, you may be obliged to find a local entertainment lawyer experienced in the film making industry who will draft any and all other clauses for your Project’s unique situation or circumstance.
Writer Collaboration Agreement
First Writer Name: _______________________________________________
Second Writer Name: _____________________________________________
Project Name: ___________________________________________________
Project Genre: __________________________________________________
(film, music video, stage production, game show, etc)
The above named Writers (“Writers”) desire to collaborate in the writing of the above named Project, on the terms hereinafter set forth.
HENCE, in consideration of the promises, and of the mutual undertakings herein contained, and for other good and valuable considerations, the above named Writers agree as follows:
1. The Writers hereby undertake to collaborate in the writing of a certain original Project (herein called the “Project”).
2. The Writers shall collaborate in the writing of the Project and upon completion thereof shall be the Joint Owners of the Project sharing all Rights equally.
3. The Writers contemplate that they will complete the manuscript of the Project by ______________________________ 20 ___.
The failure to complete the Project by such date shall not be construed as a breach of this Agreement on the part of either Writer.
4. If, prior to the completion of the Project, either Writer shall voluntarily withdraw from the collaboration, then the other Writer shall have the Right to complete the Project alone or in conjunction with another collaborator or collaborators, and in such event the percentage of ownership, as hereinbefore provided in paragraph 2, shall be revised by mutual agreement in writing or, failing such agreement, by arbitration in accordance with the procedures hereinafter prescribed.
5. If, prior to the completion of the Project, there shall be a dispute of any kind with respect to the Project, then either Writer may terminate this Collaboration Agreement by written notice to the other Writer, and should they fail to agree upon the terms of such termination agreement, they shall submit the dispute for arbitration in accordance with . . . (continued)