Writer Employment Agreement
An Independent Filmmaker/Producer/Investor may have an idea for a Script. The idea may require purchasing Rights from an Author and/or Owner of the literary story sought. The idea may be origin. Either way a Writer is required to be hired to create the Script from the literary story or original idea.
An Employment Agreement is used to hire a writer. The employed Writer receives a guaranteed payment for his labor, even if the script never gets produced. And if the script is produced, the Writer may or may not receive additional compensation in the form of a bonus or a percentage of profits.
As a “Work-for-Hire,” the Independent Filmmaker/Producer/Investor owns the Copyright. The Writer gets the money compensation for her/his/their skill , time and effort. The Independent Filmmaker/Producer/Investor gets the script. Since the Independent Filmmaker/Producer/Investor owns the work, she/he/they can produce the Project, shelve the Project or even hire someone entirely new to rewrite the Project.
This Agreement between the Writer-for-Hire and the Producer is drafted in plain English that is easy to read and comprehend. This is a five page, twenty-four clause legal Agreement. The Agreement may be filled in on your computer or printed out and filled in later.
We regularly receive feedback that we have successfully drafted our filmmaker contracts to be as complete as possible for all legal situations. However, should you experience a unique personal situation requiring the drafting of a special clause, please contact us at your convenience. Otherwise, you may be obliged to find a local entertainment lawyer experienced in the film making industry who will draft any and all other clauses for your Project’s unique situation or circumstance.
This Agreement is part of the Actor’s Deal, the Director’s Deal, the
Producer’s Deal, and the Investor’s Deal.
Writer Employment Agreement
Writer Name: ___________________________________________________
Producer(s) Name: _______________________________________________
Production Company: _____________________________________________
Project Name: __________________________________________________
Project Genre: _________________________________________________
(film, music video, stage production, game show, etc)
Herein this Agreement the independent Filmmaker is called the “Producer”.
1. The above named Producer employs Writer to perform and Writer agrees to perform writing services for Producer’s proposed above named Project.
2. All of Producer’s obligations under this Agreement are expressly conditioned upon Writer’s completion of the Writing Project, to Producer’s satisfaction.
3. The completed results and product of Writer’s services (including all material created, added, interpolated and submitted by Writer) shall be deemed the "Work" which shall be created in each of the applicable forms listed below ("Forms of Work"):
Forms of Work
(a) Use of Work: In Producer’s sole, absolute and unfettered discretion, Producer may use or not use the Work and may make any changes in, deletions from or additions to the Work.
(b) If the Work is based on an original idea or material ("Property") created by Writer, Writer hereby grants the Producer the same Rights in the Property as Producer is acquiring hereunder in the Work. The compensation payable to Writer pursuant to Paragraph 5 includes payment for said Rights in the Property and for the writing services of Writer hereunder.
4. Writer agrees to complete and deliver each Form of Work and the Work, including any changes and revisions required by Producer by ________________________________ 20____.
5. All of the Writer’s services shall be rendered promptly in a diligent, conscientious, artistic and efficient manner and Writer shall devote Writer’s entire time and attention and best talents and abilities to the services to be rendered, either alone or . . . (continued)