Question by Metal Quality: A few Martin Scorsese related questions..?
1. What do you think of the upcoming films Scorsese has planned? A biopic of Frank Sinatra, as well as a film entitled Hugo Cabret which will be set in 1930s Paris, about an orphan who lives in the walls of a train station and is wrapped up in a mystery involving his late father and a robot. (That sounds interesting, but I’m a bit disappointed that it’s going to be in 3D). And of course Living in the Material World, a documentary about George Harrison.
2. Are you a bit disappointed that he’s making a 3D film? I know Scorsese can pull it off, but I absolutely despise the Hollywood/3D nonsense.
3. Who should play the role of Frank Sinatra? It’s rumored that Leonardo DiCaprio will play him as an adult and Al Pacino will play him as an older man.
4. Do you think the upcoming film De Niro stars in with Pacino and Pesci with Scorsese directing should be De Niro’s last acting role?
5. What are your thoughts on Leonardo DiCaprio playing J. Edgar Hoover in an upcoming film? According to a few different sources, he’s going to be involved in gay scenes, because as we know Hoover was gay. Usually I wouldn’t go see something like this, but Clint Eastwood is directing it, so I think I might.. Will you?
Answer by oddball
1. I love Scorsese. I’ve seen just about every one of his productions because he’s just one of the greatest directors we have in Hollywood nowadays. He directed The Aviator, and that was an amazingly chilling biopic about Howard Hughes. I think a biopic about Frank Sinatra would be absolutely amazing! I am excited about the Hugo Cabret film because it looks so mysterious and right now, it’s a little bit shrouded.
2. I am disappointed he’s selling out and joining the 3D craze. We’re going to hope that it was the studio’s decision, and not his, because then I would just be appalled. I think Scorsese can make such amazing pictures on the screen, he doesn’t need the added 3D effect to hide a bad plot of a movie. I think the 3D thing is unnecessary a lot of the time and just annoying. I wear glasses so wearing those 3D glasses over my regular ones is annoying and uncomfortable for 2+ hours.
3. I think Leo could be a perfect Sinatra. He and Scorsese work together all the time and they are a perfect pair! I could imagine Michael Douglas (Wall Street) playing an older version of him. I can’t really think of anyone else to play him because Sinatra was in Hollywood himself, it’s difficult to imagine. I’m not the biggest fan of Pacino, but I think he’d be alright.
4. No! Absolutely not! We’ve lost Sean Connery to ‘retirement’ in a sort-of disappointing last role. De Niro isn’t at the peak of his career anymore admittedly, but he’s still one of the greatest faces in Hollywood. He’s played gay pirates (Stardust) and hardened mobsters (The Godfather). He’s an amazing actor and it will be a grim day in Hollywood when he retires.
5. I think Dicaprio can pull it off. He’s played cops (Inception, Shutter Island), billionaires (The Aviator), psychosis patients (Shutter Island), a poor lover (Titanic), and an Autistic child (What’s Eating Gilbert Grape). He can play a gay FBI agent. He’ll do great as usual and make it an amazing movie. And Clint Eastwood is directing it? That’s a double whammy that will definitely pay off!
What do you think? Answer below!