Question by matt: Quickstar Productions? Does this sound legit to you?
My band received an invitation yesterday to participate in a compilation cd these guys put together called 11th Hour Confession. The minute we got it we were skeptical and have been looking into it. If anyone else has ever gotten this same message or has any information about these guys, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Here is the message we recieved…
I heard your song, “NEW Take Me With You COVER” and I am very impressed with it. We are currently working on a benefit compilation CD titled “11th hour confession”. It will feature emo artists from across the scene. I believe that your song would be a perfect fit on this project and I would be honored to have you take part.
My name is Joe Bird, and I am a project manager with Quickstar Productions, as well as a musician. Quickstar Productions is a company that specializes in designing music-marketing campaigns and supplying digital distribution services for record labels and independent artists. In 2005, Quickstar Productions released its first Comp CD as a way to promote unsigned artists. This CD was extraordinarily successful in accomplishing its mission! Over the years the company has built off that success and perfected a marketing plan to maximize exposure for the artist. Quickstar Productions is based out of Baltimore, MD and is an active member of the Maryland Better Business Bureau.
“11th Hour Confessions” is a CD designed to raise money and awareness for the charity called, To Write Love On Her Arms. They are a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping those that need help with depression, addiction, and suicide, find help. Over the past few years they have been able to help thousands.
We really want this CD to benefit those affected by depression, self injury and suicidal intentions, but we also want it to be advantageous to the artists on it as well. Therefore we have designed a complete marketing plan for the CD. “11th Hour Confessions” will be marketed and made available in the following ways:
1. PHYSICAL SALES: You will receive 50 copies of the CD to sell at whatever price you choose. These will be professionally produced, retail ready CD’s. We recommend selling them for $ 8. That way you can make $ 400. You keep 100% of your sales. This is a great way to get more merchandise to sell at your shows and also a way to target other fans in your genre. The idea is that when each artist sells their 50 copies, the other artists on the CD will have their music exposed to other fans of your genre of music. Therefore, your song will be exposed to many new listeners.
2. DIGITAL SALES: The compilation will be made available for sale in all digital stores including iTunes, Rhapsody, Wal-Mart, Napster, and Amazon. Your song will also be available as a ringtone that your fans may purchase. You will receive 50% of profits generated.
3. EXPOSURE: The CD will be sent to record labels, marketing, and management firms. Along with the CD, a booklet featuring your picture and bio will be made available so they can learn a little bit more about you. In addition, free promo copies will be handed out at concerts in the Baltimore/Washington area. Quickstar Productions will also promote the album through the use of MySpace.
4. RADIO: The CD will be sent to college and internet radio stations and be featured on various podcasts throughout the world.
5. NETWORKING: Developing a network with other musicians is key to ones success. This comp CD is a chance to do so. You will be provided with all the other artists’ information before the CD is released so that you can start show swapping with one another, networking and helping each other out.
To have your song included on our upcoming compilation CD please visit our website, Quickstarproductions com, to download the submission forms. We do not charge a fee to be on “11th Hour Confession” but we do ask that you purchase 50 CD’s to distribute at cost ($ 165). That way we can cover the costs of the project so that as large of portion of the proceeds can be donated as possible. This will be the only cost to you. One of the most important parts of this project is getting the CD into the hands of fans. The more CD’s that you are able to distribute the more exposure everyone gets.
Please check out www QuickstarProductions com for more info on this compilation. Since we plan to release this CD as soon as possible, we ask that all submissions be returned by March 15th. Please feel free to contact me anytime if you have any questions. We appreciate your interest in helping To Write Love On Her Arms help others.
joe @ quickstarproductions com
PS. If you would like to check out past editions of “11th Hour Confessions” they are available on iTunes, Napster, eMusic, Amazon, etc.
Answer by paul n
Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!