Melanie Herr-Zepeda, principal.
Colors, tiles and wall textures throughout the campus express the African-American and Mexican-American cultures of the neighborhood surrounding this San Antonio school. “This school is truly rich in history. We’re honoring the neighborhood in what it is now and yet honoring where this school has come from,” Herr-Zepeda added.
Douglass Academy traces its origin to 1869 when it opened for the children of freed African-American slaves in what is now downtown San Antonio. In 1902 it was named for the anti-slavery orator and statesman. The school was relocated as a high school to its present site in 1915. It became a junior high in 1932.
Beginning in 1970 Douglass served as a school for grades 3 through 5. In 2002 while students attended the former Burnet Elementary campus on Barrera St. the